ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

Go down
View user profile

Thaumaturgy Lesson 2: Tools

on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 16:23
Lesson 2: Defining Your Tools and Work Space

Magic work is extremely personal. It's a direct relationship between you, the powers you work with, and the results you want. Thus, the tools you use to do this work are also absolutely personal to you alone. A "tool" can be anything you use to connect with and direct powers and energies, or even just ways to get yourself in the right mood to begin a working.

The Work Space

First, let's start with your work space. You can't do anything unless you have somewhere to do it, even if that's catching twenty minutes to yourself in the shower, or keeping an altar hidden inside a box. On the other end of the spectrum, you might have an entire ritual room to yourself. Somewhere in the middle is probably your primary altar, with other smaller altars or items around the house, such as a meaningful object in each cardinal direction to form a protection network around you.

Your work space should be kept as clean as possible, and refreshed often. Keep it free of dust and cobwebs, make sure there aren't forgotten cut flowers or food offerings left there to rot. That's the bare minimum to show the space, and the powers you work with, respect and honor.

Altar clutter is fine, as long as it's all meaningful clutter, and kept at least somewhat organized so it doesn't just become a dumping ground for every special rock and feather you find while out on a walk. If you prefer the zen approach, make sure it's not so minimalist that there's nothing of power left for your mind to link with as you begin your work. Your work space should optimize your ability to focus on the task at hand and honor the work and beings you may be working with.

Make sure your work space is clean, safe, and has everything you need for what you're about to do. Some people do elaborate protection rituals in advance of their core working, some people have their home warded and dispense with anything more than occasionally refreshing the wards. (More about protective wards will be covered in Lesson 6: Offensive and Defensive Techniques.)

Connecting Tools

Connecting tools can be things like certain scents, which is one of the most powerful methods for linking your mind with something specific. It is also the strongest memory trigger of the body's senses. Other connecting tools are items dedicated to specific purposes or beings, especially ones that you've worked with regularly so that when you see it or pick it up, a link is made in your mind. Items of clothing (or nudity, if you prefer), jewelry, statues, certain flowers, a favorite candle holder, found objects, a particular Tarot card, and so on, are all ways to connect with your workings.

Directing Tools

Directing tools can and should also be a connecting tool, but once the connection is made, these are used to focus and direct the energy and intent of the work. Many traditions use a dedicated wand, blade, feather, rattle, or other physical object to point and shoot. As with your altar, always keep your tools clean, protected, and show them the respect they deserve.

Other thaumaturgy techniques use the practitioner's hands alone, utilizing certain hand or finger movements as a tool to help direct power. A very complicated version of this is seen in the TV show "The Magicians" which features extensive and elaborate "finger tutting" to work spells. Most established forms are much more simple, such as the mudras of Hinduism and Buddhism. The famous split-fingered "Spock" hand gesture is actually part of a Jewish blessing ritual. You can choose to learn established hand gestures, or create your own intuitively as you go.

Other Tools and Supplies

General working tools include items like magical oils, incense, candles in selected colors for the purpose, spell ingredients, stones, chimes, and music (or drumming or a certain intoned note). Involve all the senses when possible and appropriate for the situation.

Everyone's situation is different, and you may not be able to use incense, open flames, or even have a regular altar setup that's private and undisturbed. Because intent is the key behind all thaumaturgy, substitutions can be made, and the working will be just as effective. If you can't use burning sage to purify an area, use a sage oil spray instead, and so on.

Everything you add to a working can enhance the result. However, adding too many things can cause a loss of focus as you try to keep track of them all. You don't need to combine everything in your cabinet to make great soup, and in fact shouldn't. There are also many kinds of soup, so remember which kind you need to make that day, and just get out the tools and supplies needed for that one.

Plan ahead, prepare the space, gather the right tools and materials, close your door, turn off your phone, and you'll be ready for what comes next. Above all, don't be afraid to make it your own.

Homework: Make a new tool! Even if you're not crafty, think about the types of workings you need to do most often, and what tools you might need for those workings. Decorate a special salt shaker or candle holder, wrap a special feather with thread or yarn that's a meaningful color, go out and find the perfect stick to use as a wand, make a simple ritual necklace, or paint a wooden box to keep your special things in. The possibilities are infinite!
View user profilehttp://prydonianprincess.tumblr.com

Re: Thaumaturgy Lesson 2: Tools

on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 11:34

For this assignment I chose to decorate a candle holder, as a great majority of the work I do is based around spirit and energy work, using candles to focus my energy. I have used this particular bottle as a candle holder for many GT related things -- I used it to call upon the Menti Celesti, I used it to hold the ashes of my personal Truth during the Thirteenth Night ritual last year, and most recently I used it to call upon one of my old friends during the Feast of the Other ritual. 

I first filled it with the decorative stones I'd collected over the years, then spray painted it gold. The metal decoration at the neck of the bottle is actually an earring I picked up, belonging to a woman I look up to a little -- at the poetry night she hosts she noticed me crying at one of the poems, and approached me asking me to be her featured artist next time it happens. She threw the earring down because it was annoying her and I picked it up meaning to give it back when we were sober, but forgot entirely. It's a personal item with a lot of fierce and loving energy.

The sigil is one I made from the name of my past husband, Oscar Morgan, and imbibed it with the intent of things I believed were integral to his personality -- courage, protection, freedom from addiction, and strength in magic. In this particular instance I focused more on the strength in magic intent.

I may add more decoration over time, but for now this feels right.

Zomopɛngwimɑnowɛb’ɪkɛninɛskələstɹəlungbɑrotɹotadandɛlɑnas || Adoptive cousin of the Prydonian Chapter || Houses Aesculus and Lungbarrow || they/them ||
View user profile

on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 12:15

So for the homework i did a homemade spiritboard, I didin't have the tools/money for some of the other ideas i had so i improvised this was the result. I used several wooden scewers then glued them together with a mix of pva,hotglue and superglue (i was running out of all my glues) the largest challenge i face was simply trying to get all the peices to stick together. 

After i stuck all the wood Together i started painting it, i went with Black both from an Aestheitc point and as it seemed the obvious choice to me for divinatination, black is used for srying mirrors it also draws in heat and energy all around it seemed the right choice in colour for this board. In contrast i also used white paint for the Uroborus and arrows for vissabilitys sake, I used the Uroborus symbol simply as i was drawn to do so, this could possibly be because of my nordic connections i am unsure either way it works as a circle. 

the arrows signify what each direction the pendulum swing means up and down for yes (Etiam) side to side for no ( Nihil) Diaganal for Unkown (Igognito ) and perpinidcular diagnal for maybe or by chance as latin does not actualey have a word for maybe ( Forte). As to why i used latin, no idea i felt like it 

its essentually done now however i  would like to go back over it add some detail to the snake clean up the lines that sort of thing.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum