ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Groups of thinking people

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Groups of thinking people   Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 am

http://www.intropsych.com/ch15-social/summary-social-cognition.html
Cw - some medical language used.

It's been an absolutely wonderful class with all of you. I do deeply apologize about missing last week I had an emergency come up and have only really gotten a chance to sit down on a computer with wifi to do any of my work.

Although there is a lot of overlap between each of the different branches of psychology, the main goal of cognitive psychology is to understand how we think and how other people think. Although this makes it look like we are thinking of Acumen, nothing could be further from the truth. Our thoughts influence our actions and our actions influence all of the people around us.

Quite a bit of cognitive psychology involves the theories that we come up with all to explain our own behavior as well as the behavior of people around us. These “ attribution theories” are essentially how we paint a mental image of the personalities of both ourselves and those people we interact with. Although these attribution theories are extremely helpful in building and maintaining relationships with each other and understanding ourselves and those around us there are a variety of ways in which they can be misleading or simply go wrong. It is always extremely important to keep an eye out for these common errors in ourselves because misunderstandings that go unresolved often escalate problems that could be easily avoided.

Planet common problem is when people assume that all of their actions are caused by external influences while attributing the actions of people around them to only internal influences. This “fundamental attribution error” often will have people forgive themselves for actions that they would not forgiving others.  

In addition to this, person perception and stereotypes often go hand-in-hand with forming snap decisions about a person's character. We as a society have seen this when our values are questioned simply because of the stereotypes surrounding Time Lords in the Doctor Who franchise. In addition to this there are many of us who have faced snap decisions and stereotypes due to our neurodiversity. stereotypes surrounding neurodiverse people are often extremely damaging to all of us and prevent us from being taken seriously and being able to contribute to our communities.

One last interesting impact that is exported through a cognitive psychology in groups is priming. This priming can make it easier for us to recognize certain concepts and words when we have recently seen or been around things in a similar category. Most of us here associate the Seal of Rassilon with both GT and the Doctor Who fandom. We would most likely be quicker to recognize chapter jokes and general doctor who jokes or references when this symbol is around.

Overall, cognitive psychology has a great impact on us and our communities. What kind of influences do you see in your daily life?

Since I am going to be officially wrapping up this course next week I would like your opinions as well as how it has gone. Is there anything you would like to change to make it more accessible? Would you take this course or a similar course again? I will have an official poll up next week.

Groups of thinking people
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1