ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Thinking as a group

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Thinking as a group   Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:53 pm

http://www.intropsych.com/ch15-social/priming-effects.html

TW - slightly manipulative testing and experiments described in chapter

As we near the end of this course I believe it is extremely important to remember how many impact each other. Although most of our thoughts take place inside of our heads, we do not live in bubbles and every action we make impact the people around us and ripples through our community. In addition to this, our thoughts themselves are often quite influenced by our environment. One of the best ways to see this is in priming.
Priming is something that we see in our daily lives that we don't consciously pay attention to. Many times this priming is designed to encourage us to see things in a certain light or two more quickly recognize words or concepts. Things that we have linked in minds such a school and homework. Thinking of these two words will almost automatically make everyone think of children as those are most likely the ones who are going to school. This ability to link together ideas in our mind has always been important because recognizing similar concepts has always been it beneficial to us as social beings. In addition to this, priming makes you more likely to solve puzzles in particular ways, using words and concepts that are links to things that you have recently seen as well as reducing the reaction time when recognizing linked concepts.

Priming also has a secondary and very interesting side effect. It can be used to discover hidden bias. Many of us are biased towards and against certain groups or people, but most of us would be embarrassed of this to the point of even hiding it. Some of these biases are even internalized against ourselves and this can often cause issues in marginalized groups. Wow we are slowly working towards equality for all people, it is important to acknowledge and attempt to work on these hidden biases. This week's chapter will have a link to a test that will show hidden biases. I would like to encourage you to take this test if you are able and report your results if you feel comfortable. If you are either unable or unwilling to take the test and report it I still would like your opinion of how unconscious and unnoticed bias impacts people today, especially in terms of neurodivergent and minorities.

Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Re: Thinking as a group   Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:41 am

While I understand and agree that unconscious bias exists in all people, I cannot say I agree with those word association tests as tools to discover it. There are so many factors beyond bias that would cause someone to categorise a black person into the wrong category, for example, especially when you're told to answer as fast as possible. Often I press the wrong button purely because of the last four questions had me press that button, or I get confused and have to think about it because it's switching so fast. I don't understand what those tests are supposed to say about us when there are so many factors that could cause someone to come out with a 'bias'.

Yes, unconscious bias is a thing that exists and impacts all minorities. Often people are discriminated against by people who don't even know they're doing it, not to mention the internalised biases people feel towards themselves. I do believe word association can be used to discover this (uncovering stereotypes, etcetera), but not in the context those tests put it in.

Zomamɑlungbɑrotadanas || Adoptive cousin of the Prydonian Chapter || House Lungbarrow || they/them ||
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prydonianprincess.tumblr.com
Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Re: Thinking as a group   Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 am

Zomomalungbarrowtodonos wrote:
While I understand and agree that unconscious bias exists in all people, I cannot say I agree with those word association tests as tools to discover it. There are so many factors beyond bias that would cause someone to categorise a black person into the wrong category, for example, especially when you're told to answer as fast as possible. Often I press the wrong button purely because of the last four questions had me press that button, or I get confused and have to think about it because it's switching so fast. I don't understand what those tests are supposed to say about us when there are so many factors that could cause someone to come out with a 'bias'.

Yes, unconscious bias is a thing that exists and impacts all minorities. Often people are discriminated against by people who don't even know they're doing it, not to mention the internalised biases people feel towards themselves. I do believe word association can be used to discover this (uncovering stereotypes, etcetera), but not in the context those tests put it in.
That is an extremely good point, and it does bring up the I greatly apologize it took me so long to get back to you on this. You bring up an extremely good point and this illustrates perfectly the problems that left right confusion can cause. Many times the test that people come up with to illustrate bias, or any tests in general that deal with people often run into problems such as being incompatible with certain forms of neurodiversity or they test things that we do not yet have a good working definition of.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking as a group   

Back to top Go down

Thinking as a group
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1