ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:40 pm

My assignments for the Healing course run by Healer Isa.

The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Week 1, Essay 1: The Nature of Healing

The nature of Healing can be seen as very complex, but it is in fact not. The job of a Healer is often discounted as simply just saying a few words or fixing a minor wound, where in fact it requires immense concentration and empathy. According to magical healing theory, the major tenets of healing are a connection with the person you are healing, an ability to concentrate on the task at hand, and mental strength to make difficult choices and keep oneself composed in the face of stress.
The reason that Healing can be so difficult is that Healers who perform their job on the battlefield are unable to have the same connection that they would if they were able to spend more time with the patient. In my canon, it was encouraged for the Healers to become socially connected with those they were possibly going to end up healing, so they were more in tune with the person’s magic and the person’s mind and body would be more responsive to their efforts. It additionally helped for the person to be related in some sense to the one they were healing. In my canon, all Pure-blood families were related to an extent, so this was a helpful connection as I was a member of the House of Black. If a magical connection does not already exist when trying to heal someone, it is more difficult, and the ability for one to use their skill often relies on finding a way to empathize with the person, even if one knows that they may have just been out on the battlefield doing something they do not necessarily approve of. This connection relies on drawing on the shared “humanity” between the healer and the patient and having a deep-seated knowledge that we are all similar deep down, and the blood that flows through our veins is all similarly powerful, and we share values as a society. Essentially, being a Healer relies on seeing the inherent good in people, even if you are forced to Heal someone you know has committed atrocities.
More mundanely, another important part of Healing is the ability to concentrate. No magical healing can be performed without concentration, nor can physical healing. Practicing the ability to concentrate typically involves doing a grounding exercise prior to healing, if at all possible. Overall, a Healer is expected to be a person who can focus when necessary and channel their skill appropriately.
One of the other very important aspects of Healing is the mental strength that is required to perform it. If you wish to be a Healer, you cannot be someone who is easily shattered by observing others’ distress, which is the catch. You must be able to empathize enough to be able to have the connection, but not so much that you drown in your patient’s feelings and end up just as badly off as they are. If you are not naturally a distant person, you may find yourself needing to employ some form of dissociation in order to perform your Healing. It does no good to push away what you have done and then have it come back to haunt you in the night, however, so it is imperative that you perform well, and then when the Healing is complete you are able to look back at your job well done and say “it was a horrible situation, but I fixed it without hurting myself, and that makes me strong”.

Overall, Healing is a very powerful but also difficult branch of study, and not one to be entered into lightly. If you have any reservations about your desire or ability to help people that are not caused simply by anxiety, it is likely not the job for you. If you find yourself unable to conceive of helping someone who you may disagree with slightly on political or personal matters, it is not the job for you. If you can put aside the persona you use in your “real life” and fully embody what you want to be, you will succeed.

The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 pm

The Ethics of Healing is another important topic related to Healing, as ethics are what guide our day-to-day lives but are especially important when one is helping someone else. Although I had never heard of the Doctrine of Nonintervention in my canon, I believe that it is a good principle here, along with the other guiding principles from my canon. The ones that I agree with from my canon are an emphasis on confidentiality, treating those who require care most urgently or is most necessary first and being a caring face while the patient is suffering.
The Doctrine of Nonintervention can apply to most parts of one’s life, but can certainly apply to Healing. It is unethical, for example, to do extra mental healing on someone that they have neither asked for nor required, or to assume that some inherent trait of a person is a problem. When it comes to trans individuals, for example, if the individual is telling you that it is their dysphoria that is the problem, not their internal gender, it is wrong to believe they are mentally ill and act on that assumption. Mind Healing is a specifically tricky area of Healing, as the Healer holds so much power and trust from the patient (often involuntarily, as the patient is mentally unfit to make their own decisions) and must act appropriately given that power and trust.
Confidentiality is another strong value that a Healer must hold. I suppose this also ties in with the Doctrine, as it means that a Healer will not use their responsibility and title to manipulate the lives of others and reveal their personal information. When someone seeks treatment from a Healer, he is showing the most vulnerable parts of himself, and this should be respected. It is blatantly inappropriate to engage in gossip, especially with other patients but even with friends, about the specifics of a patient’s situation. Unless a Healer discovers that a specific person, such as a child, is being harmed, the patient has a right to privacy, regardless of what the Healer thinks of their specific path in life or moral outlook.
When it comes to prioritizing various patients over each other, it is sad that it has to happen but in many cases it does. In this case, it is not a good idea to prioritize simply based on rank, although sometimes it may appear as if one is prioritizing based on rank. For example, the Gallifreyan Tradition Society is a meritocracy, and rank is associated with effort and contributions to the group. If there were to be a situation where Healing was necessary on a large scale, those who contributed most to the group would be considered at a priority, and that would look like prioritizing based on rank even if it was really prioritizing based on actual contributions to the group. Prioritizing based on amount of suffering is also a legitimate option, as the responsible thing to do is to help those that are in the most pain first. When it comes to Mind Healing versus physical healing, I do not believe that one should have inherent priority, but it should be noted that mental damage can be just as dangerous as physical.

The final value that a Healer must hold is compassion, and the ability to behave kindly with patients. This ties in with confidentiality in terms of not making judgements on a person’s choices. When a person feels validated and guided gently as opposed to constantly criticized, they will have more of a motivation to change, and in the case of those with personality disorders, will often put more stock in the opinion of the Healer.

The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:23 am

Healing Workshop - final exam

Healing as a practice originates from a desire to help people and to restore them to both mental and physical health. It is an art that requires balance, most significantly when to intervene when a patient is harming him or herself, or when to stop attempting to heal someone in an impossible situation and give into the natural cycle of Life and Death. Healers are some of the strongest members of society, as they are the ones who make seemingly impossible choices and face horrible truths of the sort of mental and physical harm that can come to someone as a part of their everyday life.
The difference between Healers and Medics is that Medics may be more of a type of emergency personnel, intervening in the immediate problem or minor parts of the problem and then leading the patient to a Healer. Medics are very specialized in their field, but do not have the broad knowledge that a Healer does or the ability to do more mind-specific Healing. A Healer can on occasion fill in as a Medic if necessary, but both jobs are necessary in Gallifreyan society. A Healer would be the member of society who works with a patient long-term, or handles surgery (physical or metaphysical) that requires expertise and education.
The ethics of Healing can be understood as intervening the least amount possible, and causing the least total amount of distress possible to the patient. Healing is not a process of improving the patient from baseline, or augmenting them, as this could potentially violate the Doctrine of Non-Intervention. In fact, Healing taken too far can create creatures such as Cybermen, which is directly contrary to the Doctrine (see: World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls from Doctor Who.) The Doctor himself says that Cybermen “happen everywhere there’s people”. Healing beyond baseline and to an extent that makes a being non-human is a fatal flaw, and something that an untrained “Healer” could do with perfectly good intentions. The Ethics of Healing are also heavily based in compassion - one cannot heal someone when there is significant risk that having said person Healed will cause harm that those at risk of harm did not consent to. Dignity is also a significant factor in the ethics of Healing - it does not grant an individual dignity to have them in a vegetative state for the rest of their life, just as it is not compassionate to keep said person’s family on a string forever, waiting for the impossible day that the person might wake up. Equality is the third principle of the ethics of Healing, and this relates to paying no attention to caste when it comes to healing members of society. Caste is only significant when it exists because a person is integral to society and it will cause more harm to prioritize another individual than it would to prioritize them. Sometimes, this principle also means that a Healer must go against a person’s wishes, whether it is a member of a lower caste who considers themselves less valuable because of their position in society or a Patrician who is attempting to refuse healing because they believe that the Healer is not high-caste enough to touch them. This principle, again, can also relate to compassion, which is in my opinion the most integral of the three values - if someone is attempting to refuse healing because they do not have a “suitable” healer, the compassionate choice is still to heal them so they can live another day.
This course has made me much more comfortable in my own Healing, and helped me examine how I approach it. In my canon, I once did a sort of mind-healing on a criminal who had not been caught yet, ensuring that he would not act on certain perverted thoughts he had about a child again. I believe that in this case, I made a decision that complied with the Doctrine of Non-Intervention, as that sort of crime, a crime that is exclusively about power, can contribute to universal imbalance in the sense that child abuse is such a thing. I did not take it upon myself to kill this individual while he was incapacitated, and while I regretted this in my canon I now believe this to have been a good choice. The situation was such that killing him would have caused more imbalance, and as disgusting as a person he was he still had a role to play in what unfolded subsequently. As Healers, whether a patient dies or not is not our choice to make, as we are not judges or executioners. We honor and respect Death, but we do not make choices for them.
The discussion regarding what requires intervention and what does not will also be useful to me in my future practice as a Healer. This again relates to the Doctrine of Non-Intervention; if someone is causing only themselves a problem by ignoring best practices and harming themselves further, the intervention need not be as extreme. If, however, a person’s destructive behavior is causing a problem for other members of their family or of society, such as violent behavior or behavior that would cause them to be no longer qualified for a position of responsibility they were in, the intervention would need to be more extreme. This is when “punishment” that is really just Healing comes into play - mandatory therapy sessions and the like. In my canon, I was often asked to intervene beyond what was necessary and to weaponize my Healing gifts. Certain tactics can be reverse engineered to act as biological or mental weapons, which is a fascinating practice but only something to be used when absolutely necessary. As a Healer for the Death Eaters, I did not really have a choice, but I tried to cause as little harm as possible. Now that I am free, and a Healer associated with House Lavandula, I will seek to do as little harm as possible and intervene only when necessary, in accordance with the Doctrine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   

Back to top Go down

Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments
Page 1 of 1