ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:40 pm

My assignments for the Healing course run by Healer Isa.

The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Week 1, Essay 1: The Nature of Healing

The nature of Healing can be seen as very complex, but it is in fact not. The job of a Healer is often discounted as simply just saying a few words or fixing a minor wound, where in fact it requires immense concentration and empathy. According to magical healing theory, the major tenets of healing are a connection with the person you are healing, an ability to concentrate on the task at hand, and mental strength to make difficult choices and keep oneself composed in the face of stress.
The reason that Healing can be so difficult is that Healers who perform their job on the battlefield are unable to have the same connection that they would if they were able to spend more time with the patient. In my canon, it was encouraged for the Healers to become socially connected with those they were possibly going to end up healing, so they were more in tune with the person’s magic and the person’s mind and body would be more responsive to their efforts. It additionally helped for the person to be related in some sense to the one they were healing. In my canon, all Pure-blood families were related to an extent, so this was a helpful connection as I was a member of the House of Black. If a magical connection does not already exist when trying to heal someone, it is more difficult, and the ability for one to use their skill often relies on finding a way to empathize with the person, even if one knows that they may have just been out on the battlefield doing something they do not necessarily approve of. This connection relies on drawing on the shared “humanity” between the healer and the patient and having a deep-seated knowledge that we are all similar deep down, and the blood that flows through our veins is all similarly powerful, and we share values as a society. Essentially, being a Healer relies on seeing the inherent good in people, even if you are forced to Heal someone you know has committed atrocities.
More mundanely, another important part of Healing is the ability to concentrate. No magical healing can be performed without concentration, nor can physical healing. Practicing the ability to concentrate typically involves doing a grounding exercise prior to healing, if at all possible. Overall, a Healer is expected to be a person who can focus when necessary and channel their skill appropriately.
One of the other very important aspects of Healing is the mental strength that is required to perform it. If you wish to be a Healer, you cannot be someone who is easily shattered by observing others’ distress, which is the catch. You must be able to empathize enough to be able to have the connection, but not so much that you drown in your patient’s feelings and end up just as badly off as they are. If you are not naturally a distant person, you may find yourself needing to employ some form of dissociation in order to perform your Healing. It does no good to push away what you have done and then have it come back to haunt you in the night, however, so it is imperative that you perform well, and then when the Healing is complete you are able to look back at your job well done and say “it was a horrible situation, but I fixed it without hurting myself, and that makes me strong”.

Overall, Healing is a very powerful but also difficult branch of study, and not one to be entered into lightly. If you have any reservations about your desire or ability to help people that are not caused simply by anxiety, it is likely not the job for you. If you find yourself unable to conceive of helping someone who you may disagree with slightly on political or personal matters, it is not the job for you. If you can put aside the persona you use in your “real life” and fully embody what you want to be, you will succeed.

The HIY System
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 pm

The Ethics of Healing is another important topic related to Healing, as ethics are what guide our day-to-day lives but are especially important when one is helping someone else. Although I had never heard of the Doctrine of Nonintervention in my canon, I believe that it is a good principle here, along with the other guiding principles from my canon. The ones that I agree with from my canon are an emphasis on confidentiality, treating those who require care most urgently or is most necessary first and being a caring face while the patient is suffering.
The Doctrine of Nonintervention can apply to most parts of one’s life, but can certainly apply to Healing. It is unethical, for example, to do extra mental healing on someone that they have neither asked for nor required, or to assume that some inherent trait of a person is a problem. When it comes to trans individuals, for example, if the individual is telling you that it is their dysphoria that is the problem, not their internal gender, it is wrong to believe they are mentally ill and act on that assumption. Mind Healing is a specifically tricky area of Healing, as the Healer holds so much power and trust from the patient (often involuntarily, as the patient is mentally unfit to make their own decisions) and must act appropriately given that power and trust.
Confidentiality is another strong value that a Healer must hold. I suppose this also ties in with the Doctrine, as it means that a Healer will not use their responsibility and title to manipulate the lives of others and reveal their personal information. When someone seeks treatment from a Healer, he is showing the most vulnerable parts of himself, and this should be respected. It is blatantly inappropriate to engage in gossip, especially with other patients but even with friends, about the specifics of a patient’s situation. Unless a Healer discovers that a specific person, such as a child, is being harmed, the patient has a right to privacy, regardless of what the Healer thinks of their specific path in life or moral outlook.
When it comes to prioritizing various patients over each other, it is sad that it has to happen but in many cases it does. In this case, it is not a good idea to prioritize simply based on rank, although sometimes it may appear as if one is prioritizing based on rank. For example, the Gallifreyan Tradition Society is a meritocracy, and rank is associated with effort and contributions to the group. If there were to be a situation where Healing was necessary on a large scale, those who contributed most to the group would be considered at a priority, and that would look like prioritizing based on rank even if it was really prioritizing based on actual contributions to the group. Prioritizing based on amount of suffering is also a legitimate option, as the responsible thing to do is to help those that are in the most pain first. When it comes to Mind Healing versus physical healing, I do not believe that one should have inherent priority, but it should be noted that mental damage can be just as dangerous as physical.

The final value that a Healer must hold is compassion, and the ability to behave kindly with patients. This ties in with confidentiality in terms of not making judgements on a person’s choices. When a person feels validated and guided gently as opposed to constantly criticized, they will have more of a motivation to change, and in the case of those with personality disorders, will often put more stock in the opinion of the Healer.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments   

Back to top Go down

Narcissa's Healing Workshop Assignments
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1