ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

[private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Cassandra of the House of Oakdown, still slipping in and out of consciousness after her initiation, jolted awake when the door to the room opened and another student came in. "I'm fine, I'm fine, I don't need a medic," she murmured. "I just need to rest. That's what they said. Need to rest." She blinked at the student-Healer, who looked back at her in confusion. "Not a medic, then. Okay... wait, are you my roommate?"

Patrician Cassandra of House Oakdown | They/them | Prydon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://academiagallifreya.forumotion.com
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 pm

The Drylander entered the room and looked around, starting as the door closed behind her. Right. Doors. They were a thing here. And walls, and floors. And wearing impractical white clothes, all day, every day.
She blinked, confused, as she heard a voice claiming it didn't need a medic. The voice stopped, and asked "...Wait, are you my new roommate?"
The owner of the voice didn't look well, even to the Drylander's muddled mind. She was a Patrician, or was going to be, once she got all educated. Right now though, she looked more like a pile of sorely-used Festival flags all jumbled up.
"Room-mate? I...guess I am...m'lady," she added, remembering her place and who she was speaking to. "Ain't a...I'm not a medic. You sure you're okay? You don't look it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:17 pm

"M'lady?" Cassandra asked. "I'm not a Lady yet, just a student. I was just initiated last night. They told me and the others in my initiate class to sleep it off today, and they'd call a medic if any of us needed one." She tilted her head and stared at the Drylander with wide, confused eyes. "Your speech is unusual. What House are you descended from?"
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:24 pm

"House? I ain't descended from any house. Houses can't have babbies, just people can. Grew up in a house though. Not like the places you got here, just some walls and a sometimes roof."
She put her pack on the open bed and started laying out the few things she had brought with her, keeping one eye on the new room mate.

"You sure you don't need a medic? You don't look so good."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:16 am

"What do you mean, only people can? If you're not descended from a House, how were you Loomed?" She sat up on the bed, leaning against the wall. "And no, I don't need a medic. I just need to... This is normal."

Suddenly, a realization came over her. "You weren't Initiated, and you aren't from a House... Are you from Outside?"
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:14 pm

She gave the young Patrician-to-be a dubious look.
"Normal, says you. Aight. Still don't make it right."
She continued unpacking, running the strange question her apparent room mate had asked.
"Outside? I'm from the...what do you high-borns call it again? The Drylands. Outside that dome thing. Ain't never been 'Initiated,' and if what you're feeling is the end of Initiation, I don't care to be neither."
She tried to put on a brave front, but the dropped shoulders gave her away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm

The small Patrician-in-training looked at her new roommate sympathetically. "No, I don't have a... a problem with you being from the Drylands. I've just heard a lot about what's outside of the Cities and Houses and... what's it like out there? Is it really as bad as my Cousins have told me?"
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:32 pm

The Healer to be stopped and sat on the bed, carefully, as if afraid it might disappear into the Dreamscape.
"Ain't nothing bad about the Drylands. It's different from here is all. We have families and feasts and things, and some days are good, some are bad. When the suns go down, we give our thanks to the Menti Celesti for another day lived and tell stories to each other afore we go to bed. All the stories that the pictures in the starts tell. We gotta choose Soft or Warm sometimes, when it gets cold outside, but it's homelike. Peaceful mostly. It's hard sometimes, what with not having enough food to go around, and sharing clothes from the older kids. Sometimes they ain't half threadbare by the time I get them. 'Course the little ones get their own made by their families and people. But once they grow up, they get the second and third hand hand me downs, just like the rest."
She stopped and smoothed her white uniform, clearly uncomfortable in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:21 pm

She looked up at the Healer with a quizzical, almost sympathetic gaze. "You miss it a lot, don't you," she said comfortingly. "I miss where I'm from too. The sunrises there were beautiful, and in the winter we used to go sledding on the hills."

"Do you have anyone here?" she asked, changing the subject. "I have a cousin here. His name is Koschei. Maybe you can meet him tomorrow if you want to."
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 pm

The Drylander looked at the small-patrician with something that resembled confusion. This new thing she could do, with the feeling other people's emotions told her that her "room mate" was being sincere, and the thought-sensing thing told the Drylander that the little-patricians' thoughts matched the emotions. Despite her better judgement, despite everything she had been taught about these high-borns, she decided to trust this one. She could always run away later if things went pear-shaped.

"It ain't..." She stopped herself. These people talked proper, and she had to learn how to talk like them if she was going to find any kind of home with them.
"It's not missing-like. Like not sad I'm not there. It's real...really nice here. I got food, and clothes that ain't...aren't half patches and threadbare, and I get my own clothes, not my older brothers' and sisters' clothes to wear. Talking of..."
She sat on the bed, took a needle and thread out of her pack, and started fixing a torn seam in one of the spare white shirts she had been provided with. She continued to talk while she sewed.
"No here for me. All of my people and friends and family are out there in the...what do you call it? Drylands? Yeah. They're still there." She looked up, and accidentally stabbed herself in the finger with the needle.
"Demmit! Sorry." She checked her finger, and, satisfied that it wasn't injured too badly, continued.
"You'd really do that? Introduce me around, so I ain't so lonesome? You'd let me meet some of your own family? That'd be right decent of you..."
She took a bag out of her pack.
"If'n you're still feelin' a mite off, there's some things in there to make yourself a tea. Them blue people...the plant ones, they tell me it's good for the...the way you're feelin'."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:35 pm

She made herself a cup of tea, which she sipped slowly. "Thanks," she said, yawning and stretching. "This is really helping. I think I'm going to sleep a bit longer, and we'll talk tomorrow, okay?"
Finishing her tea, she curled up in the blankets and went back to bed.

~~~Skip to tomorrow.~~~
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 pm

The Drylander cocked her head, watching her room mate fall right asleep.
"Well, if that don't beat all," she thought to herself. "Them Cerule people got it right. Maybe these Chaptery things ain't so bad. And I gotta figure out which Chapterything I'm gonna be in. Probably them Cerules. The blue ones. Told them enough about their plants, and they gave me the tea stuff."
Her thoughts quieted. She made sure the little patrician was tucked in all cozy with a glass of water and more tea ready if she needed it, and went off to her Test.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:34 am

The Patrician in training woke up from her rest a few hours later, confused as to where her Healer roommate went.
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 am

The young Drylanders entered the room after her "testing." It hadn't been too bad, lots of questions and what-ifs and different situations. And something they called "psychic aptitude" tests. Some of those Patrician-types had touched her face and gone in her head or something and looked for something she hadn't quite understood. But whatever they were looking for, she had it. Something about "telepathy" and "empathy" and "energy." Didn't explain anything, they just gave her a bunch of red clothes to go over her white things, some new red boots and shoes, and sent her back to her room.
That was odd, she thought, being in the red Chapter. With all her abilities with plants and not much else, she had been expecting to be in the blue Chapter, the "Ceruleans." But her things were red now, she belonged to the red Chapter, the...what were they called? Prydonians. That's what it was. Prydon. Whatever that meant.
She entered the room and put her new clothes on the bed, looking over at her very confused room mate.
"Oh, you seem to feeling better. Have a good sleep?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 pm

The small chronarch got up and sat on her bed. "Yes, I slept well," she replied. "Thank you for the tea, it was really helpful. I feel much better now. How was your test?"
She noticed the red robes that the Healer had set on the bed, but said nothing. She had been taught from before her emergence from the Loom that the Prydon Chapter was the most esteemed of the six, and if her roommate had been given the honor of membership, she'd probably want to give the news herself.
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 pm

"Welcome." The Healer in training was distracted, confused by the red clothes in front of her. "Test was...real odd. They asked a lot of questions and went into my head. That was a mite uncomfortable. Never had someone in my head before. Felt funny. Then without so much as a by your leave, they give me all this red stuff and tell me I'm in Prydon now. What's Prydon? Thought I'd be one of them Cerules in their blue. Ain't sure about the red chapter."
She trailed off, sorting out the new clothes, trying to figure out how they worked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 pm

"Oh, that's just the telepathic aptitude test," the little Patrician said nonchalantly. "I think they do it to everyone. Mine was kind of weird, they kept up the connection for a little longer than usual and I think someone from the CIA was there too... don't remember much, though." 

Abruptly, she changed the subject. "Anyway, I can't believe we're chaptermates! Prydon is the best chapter, we get to boss everyone else around," she said with a sly smile. "My caretaker would say that's a grossly simplistic way of explaining our chapter's duties, but I don't really care. We're still the best."
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 pm

The Healer looked back at her, even more confused.
"The telewhosit whatnow?" She shook her head, trying to clear it. She figured out the one of the red robes and put it on, turning this way and that trying to get a better view of herself before sitting on the bed and trying on one of the softer pairs of shoes. Then she looked up at her room mate.
"Prydon's for bossing people around, Cerule's the plant people...I thought sure I was gonna be one of them." She sat crossed-legged, lost and confused. "I still don't get it. What's a Chapter? Are they like families? Or villages? What are they for? And what's Prydon mean?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 pm

"Telepathic aptitude testing," she repeated. "And chapters are like... well, they're sort of like your second family, within the Academy. And they let everyone else know what you're like and what you're good at. Prydonians tend to be more stubborn and independent and good at making decisions, Ceruleans tend to be more gentle and kind and good at helping things grow. There are four other chapters too, beside those."

She had to think a little about the next question, as she hadn't ever been asked what the name of her chapter meant. "I think Prydon comes from the name of our chapter's founder. Lord Rassilon Prydonius. Each chapter bears the name of one of the six founders of our civilization," she recited, having memorized this information a long time ago in preparation for her admission to the Academy.
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 pm

She cocked her head. "So lemme get this straight. You got the old Patricians who make this Academy you got here, and there's the Chapter things and they're named for the Founder people, and people get to go into your head an' figure out what you're good at and put you in these Chapter family things? I got that much kinda. Still not sure about the Red. Don't make no sense why I wasn't with them Ceruleans."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 pm

"You're a Prydonian, like me," she said, with a wide smile. "That's even better! I'll teach you some things, if you want. I know it's hard, going from the Drylands to here, but I've been in Polite Society most of my life." You could hear the capital letters in her voice as she spoke.
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 pm

"'Polite society?'" she asked. "Ain't nothing polite about any of this..." She stopped herself. This person was offering to help as best she knew how, and maybe someone to teach her how to blend in more and be more proper was a good thing. Besides, Student or no, the other one outranked her.
"...If you could help me, Miss, I'd be much obliged. Ain't never been outside the Dry...away from home like this." She got up and made to put the rest of her thins away, hoping it would hide her emotions.
"And mebbe once I learn to talk proper and act like proper city folk, I can take you to where I'm from and show you how to be Gall...show you around."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:24 am

"That would be nice," the young Patrician-to-be replied eagerly. "You show me around your Gallifrey, and I'll show you around mine!"

She wasn't sure what she had just agreed to, but it sounded nice. Her Caretaker had told her that people meet their best friends and most bitter rivals at the Academy, and she had already made her first friend... at least, the thought she had.
Back to top Go down
Temporal Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:27 am

The Drylander looked up, as if seeing her room mate for the first time.
"You'd...you'd do that? For serious? You'd teach me to be all proper, and you'd even come meet my folk? That's more's right decent. That's...kind."
She looked away, hoping she wouldn't disappoint her new...dare she think it...friend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrician C. Oakdown
Admin

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:12 pm

"Of course I'd do it!" the little Patrician chirped. "I've never been Outside before, and if you're this nice, your family must be too. Mine is..." She lowered her head, certain that she'd already said too much. The struggles of growing up in a noble House were known to all, but never discussed, even in the strictest confidence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates   

Back to top Go down

[private w/Temporal Nocturne] Roommates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next