ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Focusing on Attention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Focusing on Attention   Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Once again I greatly apologize for my lack of a lesson last week. I hope to make up for it this week by making this one extra interesting and fun.

CW - There is person in a gorilla suit in one of the videos

We have been focusing on problems, but problems require our attention and attention it and itself is its very own subject. Attention is extremely important in our everyday lives as it in our everyday lives as it allows us to solve problems and is important in learning things about the world around us. For the most part we have to focus our attention on a small number of things at a time. Attention also plays into our memory as the things that we are paying attention to at any one time can we called our working memory, the things that we are working with right now.

working memory is actually quite limited, and in neurotypical people it has been shown that most can hold their attention on 7 (+/-2)  at a time. It is important to remember that the statistic is only an average and it will be greatly altered by ADD or hyperfocusing.

In addition to knowing how much someone can hold in their working memory, how people choose what to attend to and how they can switch their focus from one type to another is also extremely important. The ability to focus on multiple things at same time is important in many everyday tasks. Most jobs require the ability to work on multiple tasks at once, as his driving and even modern video games. This leaves the question, how is it possible that most are able to focus on only specific things while completely ignore things that are not relevant to the task at hand. It is important to remember that this is not a trait that is present in every one, and it is important to remember that some have difficulty concentrating in an environment with too many distractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

There have been several theories on how attention can be divided between the the things that we are actively paying attention to and those things that we are ignoring. One of the simplest of these theories is Donald Broadbent‘s filter theory of selective attention. Tests designed to determine how the filter theory of selective attention works were often designed using dichotic, or two eared listening. During these tests it was determined both that information in the unattended ear could influence what was heard in the attended ear, and that there is some processing done with this auditory information that we aren’t paying attention too.

This was the leading explanation of attention up until 1962 when Broadbent modified the model to parallel processes of selective attention to account for how information not being actively paid attention to impacts the things we are paying attention too. Shiffrin and Schneider also noticed that a parallel process would explain attention more effectively, especially as they noticed that that anything new or unusual would be immediately seen and draw the attention of people. Often these unusual occurrences that catch our attention are things we need in our social lives, such as hearing our name spoken across the room.

Although we feel like we pay attention to all of the world around us, there are things that do escape our notice. Change blindness is when we are oblivious to changes in our environment that we do not consider to be important. This is a brief YouTube video that I found to be interesting. What do you all think of change blindness and what it says about what is important to us as people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrrVozZR2c

I am posting this early today as I will likely be quite busy and do not wish to keep you waiting again. I hope to hear from you all. We will be continuing with Concentration in the same chapter next week.

http://www.intropsych.com/ch07-cognition/attention.html

Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Re: Focusing on Attention   Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 am

Do you have any questions or comments about this chapter? Is there anything you would like to discuss before tomorrow's class?

Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Re: Focusing on Attention   Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Apologies for the late response; my attention (amusingly) has been pulled by my new job and as such, I have had to prioritise the things that take up the least amount of energy and focus (again, amusingly.)

The video about change blindness was quite interesting -- it got me thinking, perhaps because of the people-based focus, on whether my difficulty recognising faces could be, in part, due to such a thing. 

Let me explain: from time to time, and quite often, I have been known to be completely uncertain whether or not the person I am looking at is, in fact, that person. This especially applies to photographs of people I have never met, such as actors. Often I have to reverse Google Image Search the picture before I reblog it on Tumblr, to make sure it's actually them.

Perhaps my hyperfocus on what these people are doing contributes to my difficulty recognising them the next time I see them, and it is only my anxiety that allows me to notice that I'm uncertain. Maybe someone else in my position wouldn't even question if they were certain or not, and make the mistake of reblogging the wrong person without even realising -- a mistake I'm far too anxious to ever make.

Zomamɑlungbɑrotadanas || Adoptive cousin of the Prydonian Chapter || House Lungbarrow || they/them ||
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prydonianprincess.tumblr.com
Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Re: Focusing on Attention   Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 pm

Zomomalungbarrowtodonos wrote:
Apologies for the late response; my attention (amusingly) has been pulled by my new job and as such, I have had to prioritise the things that take up the least amount of energy and focus (again, amusingly.)

The video about change blindness was quite interesting -- it got me thinking, perhaps because of the people-based focus, on whether my difficulty recognising faces could be, in part, due to such a thing. 

Let me explain: from time to time, and quite often, I have been known to be completely uncertain whether or not the person I am looking at is, in fact, that person. This especially applies to photographs of people I have never met, such as actors. Often I have to reverse Google Image Search the picture before I reblog it on Tumblr, to make sure it's actually them.

Perhaps my hyperfocus on what these people are doing contributes to my difficulty recognising them the next time I see them, and it is only my anxiety that allows me to notice that I'm uncertain. Maybe someone else in my position wouldn't even question if they were certain or not, and make the mistake of reblogging the wrong person without even realising -- a mistake I'm far too anxious to ever make.

I completely understand not being able to recognize faces. 
Face blindness, or propospagnosia is actually a very interesting thing, and I do think that I have it myself. I know that it is extremely difficult for me to memorize faces and it often takes up to a year to get a face down. There have been notable exceptions, but usually only for those who have made a significant impression on me.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Focusing on Attention   

Back to top Go down

Focusing on Attention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1