ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Noah's Assignment Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coordinator Narvin

PostSubject: Noah's Assignment Thread   Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 am

The Doctrine of Nonintervention is a code of ethics for Gallifreyan society. It states “I will not meddle in the lives of others without their permission, or do harm to them, unless their actions are contributing to universal imbalance”. In my own non-time travelling witch understanding of this, it translates to “I will not curse anyone unless they are an active threat to others, nor shall I physically harm them, harass them, or spread gossip about them”.

The six core virtues are:
1. Tradition. This would mean an upholding of traditions that are beneficial to society at large.
2. Understanding. Without understanding the world and universe around us, we are lost. We would be aimlessly navigating life with no guidebook. As an analogy, it’d be like travelling a foreign area by foot without a map and a compass.
3. Discipline. This is quite important, as without discipline, we descend into chaos, and certainly not the fun kind of chaos. I take this as doing what needs to be done no matter if you don’t want to do it, as well as practicing moderation and being aware of what you say and how you act towards others.
4. Integrity. Being honest and having strong moral grounds. Not being honest (i.e. – lying) can be considered manipulative, and as they say, “if you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything” meaning you can easily be swayed into a viewpoint that is harmful to society.
5. Loyalty. Supporting your friends and loved ones and being faithful to commitments and obligations, as well as paying homage to those in positions in power in Gallifreyan Traditions, so long as they are a good fit for their position.
6. Respect. This is a very basic thing – respect for someone’s gender identity, romantic or sexual orientation, race, socioeconomic class, religious and/or spiritual beliefs, neurotype, alterhumanity, etc. You don’t have to understand these things, but you must not mock them for it as these are very personal things that generally do not cause the world to fall apart. This would also go for not attacking someone for having a different opinion than you on little things, or because you simply don’t like them.

The seven flaws are as follows:
1. Apathy. If you don’t care about what’s going on with your friends, your loved ones, or what’s going on in the world, and simply care about yourself, that is incredibly self-absorbed and not beneficial to anyone but yourself.
2. Cruelty. Discrimination, spread rumours or lies, abuse, random acts of physical violence, oppression…too many things to name. I don’t think I have to explain why this is Bad™. Goes against the sixth virtue.
3. Duplicity. A synonym for duplicity is dishonesty, which goes directly against the fourth virtue. Being duplicitous is highly manipulative.
4. Hypocrisy. Claiming to have a moral viewpoint or belief and acting in a way that goes against it. This as well goes against the fourth virtue.
5. False Morality. If my understanding of this is correct, this would be claiming to have a moral stance or religion/spiritual path as a way of gaining respect, money, popularity, etc and not adhering to said stance at all. Ties in with hypocrisy, and again, goes against the fourth virtue. I’d also say it goes against the sixth virtue.
6. Abuse of Power. Using your position of power as a mean to profit or oppress other people. Understanding, respect, and integrity are all violated as a result of this.
7. Cultivated Ignorance. Almost literally plugging your ears and shouting “LALALA I’M NOT LISTENING”. You’re not trying to be understanding, you’re definitely not practicing respect, and you probably don’t have strong moral grounds either.

These are all definitions and views of mine on the virtues and flaws; all I can say on the matter of how I apply them in my life is that I try my best to follow the virtues and stay away from the flaws.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://narvinectralonum.neocities.org/
Coordinator Narvin

PostSubject: Re: Noah's Assignment Thread   Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am

In my past life as Narvinectralonum, I was in the Patrex chapter; while I still strongly identify with that chapter, I feel like Cerule suits me far better in this life. Ceruleans are associated with compassion, nurturing, and kindness, not to mention plants and animals.

These traits certainly resonate strongly within me. I am a nature lover (or a dirty plant toucher, as the meme goes) to the point where nature is part of my spirituality. I am an animist, so I believe everything on Earth has a soul. I have quite literally had a conversation with a tree. Nature heals me and relieves my stress, and in return I pick up litter and give offerings to the nature spirits. I also have plans to grow an herb garden as well as a poison garden, so I can create ointments and salves as well as use them in my witchcraft.

My Cerulean traits do not simply extend to nature. I am a strong advocate for social justice, making sure everyone who is oppressed has a say in issues pertaining to them, and that the resolution is to everyone’s benefit. Well, except for the oppressing class, who could use to be knocked down a peg or two. I am extremely loyal – while I may not be great at maintaining contact with my friends, I will defend them until the end if they have been wronged. This loyalty only causes me trouble when two friends I am loyal to are at odds.

I am also a caretaker. When my brother was born when I was 16, I did a great deal of taking care of him while my mother was absent. As a result of that, he is so very attached to me and I am his favourite sibling. (Yes, I know I’m his only sibling). In addition to this, I have a “mom friend overdrive” – while I may have my own issues, the majority of the time when I see someone I care about who is in need of support, my issues are pushed to the very back of my mind and I try my best in my awkward autistic way to help them.

It's also worth noting that for quite awhile, I attempted to pursue my bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in order to move on to medical school so I could become a general practitioner. When I was young, my first feasible career idea was to be a doctor. When that failed, I went to school to become a pharmacy technician, but again I dropped out due to my mental illnesses. I don’t think being a pharmacy technician would have worked out anyway, because I know how many people do not have insurance and cannot afford the pricey prescriptions and that would cause me a great deal of sorrow having to deny them the medications they need.

Yes, the Cerulean chapter may be the butt of a lot of jokes, but we were the main caretakers of Gallifrey. We took care of the TARDISes, looked after the ecosystem, and many of us had jobs in the medical field. We may not be able to look after ourselves as often, but without us, Gallifrey would have not thrived as it did.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://narvinectralonum.neocities.org/

Noah's Assignment Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1