ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Quinn

PostSubject: Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments   Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:28 pm

Tradition is upholding the values and beliefs of past generations, both through large displays and small actions. Traditions are often binding, in that they bring a community together in positive, and oftentimes very fun ways. Most traditions that I personally take part in are very silly or very juvenile, such as the tradition of having the guiro on the front ensemble captain’s instrument during performances. But again, the guiro is a binding object, in that the members of the front ensemble (mostly jokingly) rally around it, as it is a symbol of what we are about. The senior class of our marching band had a discussion about former traditions, and which ones should be done away with and how they should be replaced; we came to the conclusion that one of our oldest traditions had effectively lost it’s former meaning, and people were only jokingly participating. As the new school year starts, we hope to leave behind practices that are worthy of becoming traditions to the students that take our places. 

Understanding is gaining perspective from all sides of any argument or situation, and through that perspective, gaining insight on the motives and feelings of anyone that is a part of that situation, whether or not you happen to agree with them. When I was younger I was not a particularly understanding person, as I was rather self-centered and didn't really comprehend other people's thoughts, feelings, and actions. As I have matured I try to expand my insight, so that I can understand, sympathize with, and be sensitive of all people that I interact with, without making undue assumptions or offending them in any way. 

Self-Discipline is resolutely holding yourself to your values and practices; it defines who you are and what you are about. I am not the greatest when it comes to self discipline, as I have trouble keeping a personal schedule or and being proactive about assignments or responsibilities that don’t immediately interest me. Discipline is emphasized in my daily life, however, as it is one of the moral foundations of our marching band. To quote Scott Rush, “Discipline is choosing to be a person of character…Discipline is NOT punishment. Discipline leads to compliments. Discipline leads to success. Discipline leads to tradition. Discipline leads to sanity. Discipline leads to togetherness. Discipline leads to oneness.” 

Integrity is being true to yourself as well as to others, both in your thoughts and your actions. I believe that I am very true to myself; I don't try to lie to myself, about my thoughts or feelings about myself, or other people. I address my feelings instead of ignoring them or bottling them up, thought from there I usually become lost. In terms of other people I try my best to be as honest as I can, without dragging someone down unnecessarily or putting my friends in harms way. There are many times where my integrity any my loyalty have butted heads, in that I do not want my friends to get in trouble but I also do not want to lie to those I care about. In situations such as these, I tend to practice not speaking unless spoken to, but speaking truthfully if I am asked about something. 

Loyalty is standing by someone you care about in their times of need, and supporting them no matter the circumstances. In my mind it often goes hand in hand with respect, in that my respect is needed to gain my loyalty, and if you lost my respect then you also tend to lose my loyalty. If I have given my loyalty to someone I try my best to understand their personal situations and any hardships that they might be going through, and offer my support accordingly. I will stand by them in both good times and bad, and not expect them to do anything for me in return. 

Respect is a spectrum, in my opinion, of what you think, how you feel, and how you treat others. The bare minimum amount of respect that can be granted to a person is treating them as if they are a human being, with their own individual thoughts, feelings, experiences, and ideas. Respect can stem from understanding, in that understanding a person can lead to greater or lesser respect for them; I tend to grant all people the basic amount of respect, and then as I come to understand them more, that may change. You can show someone the barest amount of respect without actually liking them or agreeing with anything they say, in that you can treat them as if they are a human being. Of course the more I like a person, the more I am bound to respect them. 

The Doctrine of Non-Intervention states that we are not to meddle in the lives of others without their permission, and we are not to do harm to them, unless their actions are contributing to universal imbalance. I believe that I have unconsciously been following this doctrine throughout my life, and I will continue to do so as I mature. I feel that there is a difference, of course, between choosing to not intervene in a situation, and choosing to remain ignorant of a situation. Though I cannot think of any specific examples I am sure that I have chosen to be ignorant of many important things in the past, and I want to work to avoid that in the future. 

Quinn

PostSubject: Re: Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments   Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I originally aligned myself with the Prydonian Chapter, based solely on vague and inconsistent memories of my past life. I wasn’t very knowledgeable of the Chapter system before joining GT, really only knowing that the Doctor is Prydonian; my understanding didn’t really go past memes for a good while.

After a period of investigation, analysis, and introspection, I came to the realization that the Prydon Chapter doesn’t fit who I am in this life, and that it is this life that I should be focusing on. Once I’d realized my mistake, it wasn’t much trouble at all to discover the Chapter that fit the best; I’d read through several descriptions of the different Chapters, ranging from the most basic to in-depth analyses, and the Patrex Chapter just seemed to click.

I relate to the most stereotypical aspects, of course, in that I strongly enjoy the fine arts, music especially. I pride myself in my musical ability, whether it be singing or playing or composing, and while I am not the best artist in the world I still make works that I can be proud of.

I am energetic in my own time, but when I am being ordered around or assigned things by others, it just doesn't interest me. If I choose to work on a personal project that involves learning the anatomy of a bat’s wing, then I can and will take up as much time as I can to do so - while also asking my teachers strange questions about the subject, just to see their reactions.

I tend to hyperfocus on one project at length, or to hop from project to project in a creative (and frankly unproductive) frenzy, trying to get all of my ideas out of my head and on paper before my well of motivation runs dry. I often operate in fits and starts due to an unstable emotional state, often going from periods of high energy to very dry and put-out in a matter of minutes.

I’ve been known to leave one project alone for months after getting to a decent place with it, not coming back until I've started three more, because productivity as a whole is a mystery to me. But on the rare occasion that I do see one of my own works through to the very end, I am immensely proud of it and of myself.

The Patrex Chapter embodies aspects of both who I am now, and who I want to be in the future. I do believe myself to be curious, inquisitive, and imaginative, (which could be considered the more passive aspects of the Chapter?) though these qualities have been somewhat subdued in the monotony of my current situation. I hope that in the future I will be able to renew the qualities that were once much brighter, and also embrace the more active aspects, such as a thirst for adventure.

I suppose I’m a Patrex in my own head right now; I have dreams and ideas, but no resources with which to act on them.

Quinn

PostSubject: Re: Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments   Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am

My first thoughts on the Gallifreyan Tradition community are rather oxymoronic, in that I find it to be both strict, and fluid. While other communities, such as the fandom, the kin community, and the pop culture pagan communities all have varying levels of structure and of fluidity in their beliefs and practices, GT is attempting to find a balance of those qualities.

For example, the fandom. While I have had little to no experience with the Doctor Who fandom specifically, I know that fandoms in general are notorious for having strict codes of what you can write or draw about any one character, primarily put into place by gatekeepers. There is Canon, and then there is Headcanon, and while some fandoms are better than others at allowing room for personal ideas to bleed through into fan materials, some are incredibly opposed to it.

GT understands that, as people from many past lives in many different versions of the universe, there is no one canon. Everything has the potential to be true, just as everything has the potential to be false, so the community makes room for all possibilities and realities. This also stands to be true in the non-spiritual aspects of GT, in that we understand that people come from all walks of life, and even in the physical world, there is no one simple truth that applies to all of the members.

I think that out of the groups listed, GT is probably most comparable to the pop culture pagan community, in that they are both widely accepting of all manner of people, from all aspects and experiences of life. Along with that, the communities that I follow introduce a specific structure in the form of moral codes and rituals - the procedures that make them up and the dates that they can be done.

I suppose that the main difference between these kinds of communities and GT is that the Society is adding in a formal code of conduct and governmental structure along with that? For instance, while the Homestuck Pantheon is a pop culture paganism community centered around Homestuck that introduces various moral codes and procedures based on the different characters and aspects of Homestuck, they are not a formal society in that (to my knowledge) there aren't any elected officials chosen to lead the community. In fact, there isn't as much emphasis on community in general as much as there is providing resources for a private practice; though I could very easily be incorrect about this.

In the Gallifreyan Tradition, while we are accepting of realities where things may not have worked the same way, we have a basic set of agreed-upon rules (such as the Chapter system, House structures, and official positions), incorporating the rigidity into the fluid beliefs. In this sense there is an emphasis on the present, as while it may have worked differently for individuals in the past, we are together now, and the present rules are the ones that we will follow into the future.

Quinn

PostSubject: Re: Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments   Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 am

In terms of specific and concrete ideas pertaining to the future of the Gallifreyan Tradition Society, I only have two. I am not a very political person, and I don’t have any frame of reference for where I want our community to be, so I am mostly working off of what I’ve heard others say and what I agree with. Outside of that, I have only a vague idea of where I want us to be in the future, something that I cannot easily put into words, and that honestly does not make much sense.

For the specific ideas I have in mind, the physical establishment of the Great Houses - meaning that they have physical locations, and that they can interact with local communities, and so on - is definitely something that I foresee happening within the next ten years. I suppose that the level of interactivity and sophistication of the Houses would vary between the different locations, but a vision I have in mind is that they would be at least somewhat well known and respected within their local communities, and perhaps participate in or organize community events.

Another concrete vision for the future that I have is to establish rescue centers for people in unfortunate and dangerous situations who want refuge. I’m unsure if rescue center is the correct term, but I remember several members of GT discussing the idea on the Discord some time ago; if I’m remembering correctly, the idea was primarily stemmed from the fact that several members of the Society have lived through or are currently experiencing these situations that we wish to rescue people from. I’m not sure how something like this would be carried out in practice (for example, would the centers be set in the physical Houses or would they run completely separately?), but it is definitely a goal that I’d wish to see met, as it would greatly contribute to the betterment of people's’ lives and to society as a whole. Individuals should have steady access to safe and comfortable situations, and I wish to be able to provide that in some way.

Aside from those few specific ideas, the only other vision I can think of is a very vague and very broad situation; I would wish for the Society as a whole to be seen as a sort of beacon of hope in modern society, no matter how cliche that may seem. I would want for us to be a well known and well respected organization, far reaching and promoting our ideals across the globe. We would participate in large gatherings, both directly and indirectly related to the Society, and we would promote radical acceptance and the betterment of oneself and the world around them to all of those who would observe us. We would do charity work and would be recognized for it by outside communities; we would have opportunities to explain our purpose and our ideals to willing and respectful ears; I suppose what I’m trying to say is that we would be as we are now, but on a grander scale and with a wider audience, if that makes any sense.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments   

Back to top Go down

Quinn's Initiation Workshop Assignments
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1