ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Mel's completed initiation essays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mel

PostSubject: Mel's completed initiation essays   Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:48 pm

I am apparently too much of a historian to write a short essay, so this is 1,750 words exactly. (I did check with Patrician Cass that this was okay prior to submitting it).

The Virtues and the Doctrine of Non-intervention

Tradition, Understanding, Loyalty, Self-discipline, Integrity and Respect are the six values of the Gallifreyan society, which are all superseded by the doctrine of non-intervention. Tradition is valuing the past and being guided by previous knowledge and routines; Understanding is the first step towards knowledge and is often academic, however, it also includes seeking the viewpoints of others, including those outside of your own culture; Loyalty is being true to your word, those you trust and your beliefs; Self-discipline is adhering to the rules you have put upon yourself, either due to choice or due to belonging to a society that has rules or laws; Integrity is being moral and honest; and Respect has two main meanings – firstly, to treat someone with regard and according to their wants and needs and secondly, to have reverence for those who have earnt it. The Doctrine of Non-intervention is not intervening in the lives of others without consent or if not intervening causes harm or disrupts the balance of the universe.

I have just finished my high school (in Britain, that is the school you go to between the September after you turn 11 and until the September after you turn 18, but you can leave after 16) and it is a selective, “all-girls” school that is over 100 years old, so I am very used to having traditional views upon each item, and traditions that have been passed down between students and staff over the 100 years. The most obvious examples of traditional events is the morning in which each house puts on a full show containing drama, dance, music, tech and background and can win trophies for your house based upon these; Britannica, where you can earn and lose points for and from your house, and whoever wins it earns the Britannia trophy for a year, and our leavers revue where we get to make fun of the school and its somewhat uptight practices, and make anonymous confessions as to things we have done at school.

Traditions are also important in many of my out-of-school activities – I am in both the Scout and Guide movements – and tradition is strong in these as both of their movements are over 100 years old. This also includes badges and awards, such as the award I am currently working towards (the Commonwealth Award) and one I am planning to work towards (the Queen's Guide and the Queen's Scout awards).

However, I also hold more personal traditions. Before the acrobatics part of my dance show, I will always put glittery hairspray on them – the hairspray is useful as it helps you to stick to the floor as our stage is very slippery, but the glitter is more of a personal tradition hailing back to my h first dance show where all we had between us was one can of glittery hairspray. I always get up from one side of the bed, despite neither being against a wall.

I had assumed the easiest value to see where I had applied it was understanding. I am truly academic, shown previously by the selective nature of my school, and I enjoy learning outside of my course (I chose after my exams were complete to go and sit into the lower sixth's government and politics lessons. I also enjoy learning languages and cultures – I managed to study Russian until I was 16, and have visited Russia and learned I love Борщ and I visited the St Petersburg ballet (an amazing experience, especially as a dancer myself) and a cultural night, where we were shown many different traditional dances from all across the country.

However, I sometimes struggle to understanding the outside world due to the sheltered nature of some of my formative years – until I joined Scouts at 15, I had not spoken to a cis male outside of my family since I joined my high school. Often, their sense of humour is confusing but otherwise I think I can deal with them reasonably well. I find American standards odd, and I find the openness of those who are bigoted very odd as compared to our typical push-it-under-the-rug attitude. I don't think I'll ever understand bigotry or why it exists, or the clinging to traditions that are inherently unequal, sexist, racist, xenophobic, homophobic, biphobic, transphobic, etc.

Self-discipline is an area I need to work on. I am very good at self-discipline for a day or a few days, however, I am awful at doing things when I have a bad day, at which point I haven't been perfect and my disability kicks in and I am not perfect so what's the point.

(Christian lent in this paragraph) However, the thing I am good at disciplining myself with is the period of lent – although I do not count myself as Christian any more, it was very important to me that I gave up chocolate during lent. This continues to this day (which I suppose makes it a tradition too) as more of a way of disciplining myself rather than for any spiritual reasons. I need to learn to bring this discipline into the rest of my life.

I also tend to follow rules – over my entire high school, I have only had two detentions and one of them was due to a teacher punishing me over my dyspraxia, so I have only earnt one of them through flaunting of the rules. I have always followed promises as long as they are not to myself – I have followed all of my Guiding and Scouting promises and laws throughout my life, and I have been trying to implement all of these virtues and the doctrine of non-intervention since I joined GT two months ago this week.

To decipher one's own integrity is quite difficult – I will pull on more occasions where I have not been entirely integral than other people will, as any of my faults, especially those from when I was a child are more obvious to myself. However, over time I have become more integral (as a child, I used to lie a lot due to circumstances, both at home and at school) and I tend to be honest in most situations. My morals often follow different laws that I have found over the years (tying in with self-discipline), including things such as in my formative years, taking an oath to 'do a good turn every day', which has become part of my day-to-day life over the years.

However, my issues with memory and time due to various reasons can mean I miss pre-planned events or am late to them. In these cases, as soon as I remember, I apologise strongly and attempt to find a way to make up for it. I also have a tendency to fall back on lying if I feel threatened, but until I am completely sure I do not need it as a coping mechanism, I will not remove it. This, of course, breaks one of the values, however, it surely follows the doctrine of non-intervention as it keeps my personal balance in order.

Loyalty is one of my strongest traits, and I am very loyal surprisingly quickly (think John Watson style loyal) to the extent I am almost a Hufflepuff. I am also pretty dependable, I have often been left with equipment by school staff (that I probably shouldn't have been for health and safety reasons) that are worth a large amount of money, and I am trusted to run several extra-curricular clubs as a sixth former alone or in a group, and a young leader in both the Scouting and Guiding movements.
However, I tend to take this value too far, and I will become loyal people too long and can be easily walked over, especially by those who hold power over me. I also tend to believe that all have my sense of loyalty, which makes betrayals worse as it also makes me question myself and why I believed they would be loyal when there were obvious signs before it happened.

(Childhood Cancer ment) Respect exists on a basic level for all people and I will show manners and kindness to all, and even to those who have proven they do not deserve it, I will show a basic respect for their life, even if I truly hate their existence. However, reverence is a different matter, and I tend to have reverence for those in powerful positions automatically, on the basis that they theoretically have earnt it. I also have reverence for people who are not more powerful than me but are amazing individuals, such as my cousin who fought cancer throughout her short life, and people who are amazing and create a society where I feel safe, such as my Scouting and Guiding leaders, my tech team, my music group and everyone involved in GT (you are all awesome).

In relation to both of the previous values, I had a teacher who I defended as I genuinely believed he was doing the best for the class, however, the Easter before my GCSEs it became clear that he was not, and we were a year off where we should have been. Therefore, I need to learn to question the need for reverence of those in power before they have earnt it, and to question my loyalty when large numbers of others are either questioning, or removing, their loyalty.

The doctrine of non-intervention sounded odd the first time I heard it, however, once I heard about it, I question how anybody could not follow it. The idea of intervening in someone life without consent unless harm would be caused without doing so is strange – why would anyone try and do so, and the morality of doing so is awful. I have been making a conscious effort to keep this in mind, however, I do not think I can come up with an exception to this that I have previously committed, or that I think is morally correct, as it already has an exception for if not intervening causes harm to the person, yourself or the balance of the universe.

Overall, as I have been going through my life, I have realised I have generally followed these values unknowingly and I believe most people will have done so too. However, with an extra insight into these values I believe I have followed them further and if everyone followed the six values and the doctrine of non-intervention then the world would generally be a better place.

Candidate Mel

Mɛlmɑk’ip’ətalt̪ɔsɾuwawifɾɪniɾtad || Chapter: Arcalian || Rank: Candidate || Pronouns: they/them ||
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mel

PostSubject: Re: Mel's completed initiation essays   Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Chapter Affiliation

Through speaking to my fellow Arcalians about our Chapter in the discord chat, it seems we all question our belonging to the Chapter and whether we are truly an Arcal. My query is over the Dromeian Chapter, which I will discuss later.

Unlike most members of our community who have kin from within the 'verse, I was never part of Gallifreyan culture and I had very little connection to any of the Chapters – although my spouse was Prydonian, and I knew I wasn't Prydonian very quickly anyway. Removing four of the Chapters was relatively easy – although leading is something I enjoy, I am nowhere near extraverted or charismatic, I don't have the self-discipline of a Scendle, I enjoy politics too much to be a Patrex and I'm bad at looking after plants and follow rules more than the Ceruleans (or Prydonians) tend too. I alos ruled out Prydonian, Cerulean and Scendles Chapters as I am more focused upon acquiring, rather than using, knowledge.

Arcalians are described as librarians who enjoy learning and will get carried away reading, researching and talking about something they are interested in. Truthfully, this sounds like me – at school, I was known as an oddball who could talk at length (or infodump) about pretty much anything, and I have casually run out of bookshelf often enough that I now steal part of my parents. It is also suggested that their traits are curious, quick-witted, enthusiastic, analytical and solitary , all of which I would describe myself as. They arm e also described as good scientists, and of the A and AS levels I chose, 5 of 6 were STEM subjects, and

However, Dromeians are suggested as good teachers, which is something I enjoy and am considering as a future career, good historians, which I consider myself as and enjoy enough that it is the other half of my degree, as well as also agreeing with their traits as well: intellectually keen, philosophical, introverted, clear-headed and existential.

However, instinctively, I knew I was Arcalian. I don't know why, but I couldn't ignore it while I was debating it. I feel like I could fit into both of these categories very well and could work well in either Chapter, however, I am quite happily an Arcal and that's how I decided upon my Chapter affiliation. I also find that Dromeians lack of interest in politics is also not me

Arcal represents my thirst to understand the world and how it works, in all strands of life, as far as I physically can. It reminds me that I am not weird or wrong for enjoying hiding away from the world and researching and learning and exploring, and it lets me accept the 'nerdy' parts of myself. I also get reminded that my pride of my logic is not a problem, and my 'random facts' are perfectly normal and there are plenty of people out there like me who can info-dump on many topics.

Overall, my sense of belonging to Arcalian Chapter did involve learning about all of the chapters, but instinct as well as understanding took a role in my decision which is why I question it more than I probably should – despite knowing that my instincts are generally correct, I still don't like using them for anything. My Chapter also gives me a second sense of belonging and community within GT which I enjoy. It also allows me to reclaim my heritage – I could have become part of this Chapter in my previous life, but I never got the chance to be part of it (or any community, for that matter) so it also feels like taking a step even further away from how I grew up there, which also helps in this life.

Candidate Mel

Mɛlmɑk’ip’ətalt̪ɔsɾuwawifɾɪniɾtad || Chapter: Arcalian || Rank: Candidate || Pronouns: they/them ||

Last edited by Mel on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing the editing)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mel

PostSubject: Re: Mel's completed initiation essays   Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:14 pm

The Collective Identity of the Gallifreyan Tradition Society

The principles of the Gallifreyan Tradition Society (hereinafter referred to as GT) are described as the same principles as those held by the culture we are trying to recreate – that is, the Six Virtues (Tradition, Understanding, Discipline, Integrity, Loyalty and Respect), the Seven Flaws (Apathy, Cruelty, Duplicity, Hypocrisy, False Morality, Abuse of Power and Cultivated Ignorance) and the Doctrine of Non-intervention. As a community, I think we also stand for other values, such as inclusivity and equity, which are very similar to the Six Virtues and both fall under the banner of compassion.

GT does involve some similar aspects to those of fandom, pop culture pagan groups (hereinafter referred to as PCP) and alter-humanity groups. In regards to fandom, we are all strong fans of doctor who, to the same extent as most purely fandom groups. We are also similar to groups (both fandom and alter-humanity) that learn and teach languages, including Klingon, Kryptonian, Vulcan and Elvish languages, through Academia Gallifreya. Fandom wise, Harry Potter is most similar to our Academia Gallifreya in my experience, as they have several places where they set up classes that people can take in communities such as Hogwarts is Here and Hogwarts Online.

Conversely, we also disagree with other groups aspects. Here, I have very little experience with what I am mentioning – a lot of it is second hand information from people I have met, so if anything I refer to is incorrect or problematic, please correct me here. I feel we have more structure and more of a governmental approach than most PCP, alter-humanity and fandom groups. We are also a group that includes all of these things – most groups include one or two of these rather than all three, especially in the structured way that we do.

GT also accepts that 'canon' is not a fair idea and nor is it the same for everyone. Although this is often accepted in alter-humanity groups, I feel we have a stronger acceptance of this as a general idea for general canon than even most doctor who fandom groups. 'Canon' is often an area of question, especially in fandoms with as much material as doctor who as there are often arguments as to what counts as canon and not, while we just accept the confusion that is doctor who and love the inconsistencies in the source materials, even ignoring the differences in canon between those of us who have an alter-human experience within the doctor who universe.

There are also fandom groups that are excluded in similar ways to us, however often those groups have created it – for example, by causing real people pain purposefully, or not respecting actors and real peoples wishes. Alternatively, we are much more similar to PCP groups and their exclusion from their fandom, often as people are confused or refuse to understand paganism or even non-mainstream religions so it can cause alienation. This also goes for alter-humanity groups being pushed out of fandom due to a lack of understanding.

Overall, GT is more similar to PCP and alter-human groups than fandom groups, however, we are a society of all three and as members can be included without being part of one or more of those banners, and as we have a strong structure, we are different from all three sections.

Candidate Mel

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mel

PostSubject: Re: Mel's completed initiation essays   Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm

The Gallifreyan Tradition Society in ten years

In ten years, a lot will have changed in the world and we cannot tell where the state of the world will be to accurately predict where we need to fit in. However, I will assume the general position of the earth and its people stay similar to how it is currently.

In terms of online presence, it would be nice if we could have our own website that could incorporate the discord servers (both the main one and the ones where people are learning on), the blog, facebook and Academia Gallifreya together (as well as anything I have missed here). This is a more long-term goal than it sounds at first glance – we need a way to find a steady income to afford the domain hosting and a way to organise it together. As I am planning on gaining a Computer-related degree, I hope to help with the creation of this website.

At the moment, we are seeing the beginnings of establishing the Great houses – in 10 years time, I would like to see the Great Houses being established to a far greater extent to move GT into the physical world. These Houses would be best if they were around the world – i.e. not purely in the United States. Personally, I would like to see one in Europe so as I could live there with other members of GT.

I would also like to see these Houses become refuges for all people in abusive situations, whether that parental, domestic or other. I don't know how we would achieve this due to the legal battle that is getting children away from abusive parents but even as a refuge for people to escape to for a few hours would be better than nothing. We have discussed this option several times on the discord server and I fully support this and would attempt to help this become a reality in any way possible. Eventually, would also like GT to become a registered charitable or spiritual organisation in several countries that can help the wider community, however, I'm not sure if this is within the 10 years or a more long-term plan.

To make this a reality, we need a source of steady income. I don't know how this could be achieved by us as a group, but this is also part of the plan – create a plan on how to sustain the plans. Talking of sustainability, it would be useful if the houses were sustainable, both monetarily and environmentally. A minimal-waste living would be good to instill in the Great Houses as it can help the world and therefore the balance of the universe. Economically, it would be useful if the houses could be self sustaining – i.e. producing enough money to cover its own costs and the living costs of those living in it. Once again, I don't know how this will be achieved, however I do suggest a coffee shop where we can use the proceeds towards the upkeep of the houses and the charity work we are attempting to create.

Candidate Mel

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mel's completed initiation essays   

Back to top Go down

Mel's completed initiation essays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1