ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments   Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Week One: The Virtues and the Doctrine

The foundation upon which Gallifreyan Society is built are the Doctrine of Non-Intervention and the six Virtues. In this essay I shall be exploring how those foundations apply to my own life.

The six Virtues are values to uphold and improve upon in our everyday lives. They are as follows:

Tradition: the value of being guided by the past. For me personally tradition involves returning to my roots (whether it be my human, Celtic ancestry or my many past lives) and learning as much as I can about their ways and the values they lived by. I also follow tradition in a more situated sense, preferring books to ebooks and CDs to digital downloads for example, partially because I grew up with them.

Understanding: the value of knowledge and productive discussion; to seek consensus and know the viewpoints of others. This is a value I try to uphold at the forefront of my moral standing. In altercations and disagreements I always do my best to see both sides of an argument and understand them, especially when both parties are my friends, in order to decide how best to communicate and mediate. I also hold understanding for my friends’ interests and passions whether or not I am interested in them myself, as understanding the things a person lives is an integral part of maintaining a healthy, loving relationship of any kind. This can lead to issues, however, as I often end up assuming I understand a situation without realising my viewpoints are skewed, thus causing more harm than good. The Doctrine of Non-intervention plays into this, as I can bear it in mind and not take action until I am certain I truly understand the situation at hand.

Discipline; specifically Self-Discipline: the value of upholding your own values and keeping yourself within them. Self-Discipline is an area in which I struggle the most. I often fall prey to destructive impulses and addictions thanks to my mental illnesses but it is an area I am slowly coming to grow and improve in. For example, I have recently been attempting to readjust my sleep schedule in preparation for an upcoming job, exercising Self-Discipline in the time I put myself to bed and the time I must wake up.

Integrity: the value of being honest and true to your word. I place a great importance on my own integrity, often to a fault. I never make a promise unless I am certain I can keep it, or I am being entirely truthful. This can often leave me frightened to admit a change of heart, however, for fear of being seen as dishonest or hypocritical. Sometimes integrity is being true to how you feel in the moment, and that is something I am still working on learning.

Respect/Reverence: due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights and authority of others. I personally hold the belief that while everyone deserves a base level of respect (manners, not causing undue harm, etc), true reverence must be earned and maintained through mutual respect and good deeds. Too many people take respect to mean unquestioning obedience and I do not submit to that kind of abuse of power. I only give the level of respect that is offered to me, no more, no less.

Alongside the Virtues, The Doctrine of Non-Intervention states that meddling in the lives and business of others should only take place if explicit consent is given, or if their actions are contributing to Universal Imbalance. This includes any situation or state in which the six Virtues are being broken and people are being harmed; where people's inherent right to a peaceful, undisturbed existence is being violated. I believe this includes ourselves: every individual is part of the Balance, and if personal balance is upset it contributes to the imbalance of the universe as a whole.
The Doctrine, as I have briefly mentioned already, is something I have tried to bear in mind and uphold since joining the Gallifreyan Tradition. My instincts to protect and help others often negate common sense and awareness of consent, which can lead to situations in which I end up causing more harm than good. I use the Doctrine to remind myself of this, and so far I feel it has improved my life and relationships already. My fiancée, for example, is often triggered by unwanted help or advice and I'm remembering the Doctrine I have avoided arguments and improved our all-around emotional well-being. I have also shown more restraint in online arguments, not butting in where my input is not needed and gaining a greater understanding of where I am needed. This has also allowed me to step back from situations specifically catered to incite me, thus protecting my own well-being and balance in the process.

In conclusion, the Doctrine and Values of the Gallifreyan Tradition are present in all aspects of my life and, I believe, the lives of all people whether they are aware of it or not. Awareness has helped me, and will continue to help me, grow and improve myself and my contribution to the overall Balance of the universe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prydonianprincess.tumblr.com
Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Re: Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments   Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 am

Week Two: Chapter Affiliations

When I chose to become a member of the Prydonian Chapter, I did so in the knowledge that my father was also a part of it rather than through any particular personality association or past life memory. As a half-blooded Gallifreyan and a refugee of another world, I had very little time on Gallifrey before the Time War and, as such I had no memories of being a part of the Academy. For me, the Gallifreyan Tradition Society has become a way of taking back the childhood and home I lost, and my Chapter is much of the same.

Though most learn about the Chapters before becoming a part of one, for me being a part of the Prydonian Chapter was part of that learning experience. While at first it was simply a snap decision based on heritage, I can scarcely imagine myself in any other Chapter. Being a part of Prydon allows me to express the deepest and most confident aspects of my personality -- parts of Sapphire I have grown into but rarely show. My mental illnesses mean I slip into various aspects of my personality depending on who I am around, and my trauma means the aspect of my personality I usually show is mild and passive -- this is not the case when it comes to being a part of Prydon. While I can still be quiet and modest, there is a confidence, self-assurance, and natural leadership that Prydon allows me to get in touch with, which is something I haven’t been able to easily do regularly in a long time. As such, Prydon is a symbol of self-expression for me: somewhere I am not afraid to speak my mind.

Similarly, being a part of Prydon also allows me to feel comfortable in my protective and nurturing instincts again. For a long time I responded to sensitive situations with anger and quiet frustration, unable to help those around me for many deep-rooted reasons that I struggled to overcome. Being Prydonian has allowed me access to a community of people with the same instincts, and an up-frontness that I had previously considered too inappropriate to hold in sensitive situations. I can take inspiration and confidence from those around me to relearn the boundaries of comfort and care, and let free my nurturing instinct without fear of backlash.

Prydon also represents my ambition; my desire to move forward in life and achieve my full potential. I often withdraw and withhold my own wishes for the good of those around me, and Prydon is my constant reminder that my ambitions are also important, and that I shouldn’t let my talents and potential go to waste.

Alternatively, Prydon also serves as a reminder to me. A reminder not to let my passion for life and success change who I am, or twist me into something unrecognisable as it has before. It is a reminder not to let my desire to nurture and protect override my empathy and violate the right to privacy and personal space that the people I love are deserving of. It is a reminder to uphold my values without letting them corrupt me.

In conclusion, my Chapter is a symbol of courage, ambition and care to me. It is a reminder of the parts of me I have been too afraid to express, and a source of belonging and comfort to me. At heart I am a guardian and an advisor to the people around me wherever I can, and Prydon allows me to express that instinct without fear of backlash. It is not only a reminder of who I am, but who I was, and a way of reclaiming all that I lost in my previous life. It is a connection to my father, whom I miss dearly, and the heritage and culture that was robbed from me.

Zomamɑlungbɑrotadanas || Adoptive cousin of the Prydonian Chapter || House Lungbarrow || they/them ||
Back to top Go down
Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Re: Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments   Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Week Three: The Collective Identity of the Gallifreyan Tradition Society

The Gallifreyan Tradition society holds many similarities and differences from other communities, in both the way it is run and it's goals and morals. I have very little experience in other pop culture pagan, fandom, and alterhumanity groups, but from what I understand most are far less organised, with their code of conduct less strict and specific and more based around basic manners than all levels of behaviour. I have noticed also that while GT is more strict in general with its rules, it also holds itself more open to varying experiences and beliefs. While many other communities seem to be strict in whom they allow to join, usually based on beliefs or specific canon experiences (in the case of alterhumanity), the Gallifreyan Tradition society strives to have an open and inclusive environment for people from all backgrounds and canons.

Another obvious difference is the reconstruction element. While many fandom groups hold elements of roleplay (Starfleet, for example, a worldwide organisation and fangroup, encourage roleplay in public events and are organised similarly to the canon they are based on), few if any are dedicated to entirely reconstructing as much of the canon as possible, with plans for future physical developments like GT has. The closest group I can think of to what GT desires to become is the Jedi Order, though I know little to nothing about them and I believe their focus is on spiritual reconstruction more than all-around cultural.
Related to this, the overlap between cultural, spiritual, and ethical workings/ideas is another thing that sets the Gallifreyan Tradition Society apart from other communities. While most hold one particular focus out of the three (barring the fact that a lot of the qualities of each can overlap naturally), GT is dedicated to all three areas at once, and dedicate an equal amount of time and consideration to each.

This focus on all areas and wakes of life means there is also more of a consistency in activity than I’ve observed in other groups. Though there still exists the same pattern of a few dedicated members being quite active and others sitting on the sidelines, there are by far a lot more active members than I am used to for a group of its size, and many alterhumanity groups in particular tend to fall quite silent for the most part. On the Gallifreyan Tradition Discord server there is almost always some level of activity going on, and the scheduled group activities and sessions are far more regular and organised. Not only this, but very few, if any, online communities I’ve seen offer lessons like the Gallifreyan Tradition Society does. With a sophisticated ranking system also rarely seen in other groups (besides larger organised groups such as Starfleet), people are able to teach and learn a variety of subjects; a unique trait I have never seen in any other group. Even the pop culture pagan groups I have seen do not offer such a learning experience. On top of this, the level of self-reflection and self-improvement is something I don’t see in many other groups.

The Gallifreyan Tradition Society is, all in all, a unique and relatively unheard of group. For one of its size, it compares only to widespread, international groups with thousands of members, the likes of which GT comparatively is not. While there are similarities to other pop culture pagan, alterhuman, and fandom communities, it stands out as something new and fresh that has barely been seen before.

Zomamɑlungbɑrotadanas || Adoptive cousin of the Prydonian Chapter || House Lungbarrow || they/them ||
Back to top Go down
Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Re: Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments   Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Week Four: The Future of the Gallifreyan Tradition Society

Ten years, for someone with little concept of the passage of Time, is infinitely long and not much time at all. So when presented with the question of what my visions for the Gallifreyan Tradition Society are in that time span, I found myself puzzled. How much can a group realistically achieve in that time? How much can one person even achieve? Will I still be a part of GT by then? Where will I be? I can't say I'm certain, so I've broken this essay down into two sections: what I believe could be the realistic, and the far-fetched.

First, the realistic. Realistically, I believe we could establish ourselves as a more well-known organisation. I have brought up this idea in passing before, but perhaps by then we would be large enough to start making donations and hosting events to raise money for charities; enough to be recognised as a charitable organisation. More people within fandom (and without) would take us seriously and, as most of my ideas come from witnessing my mum’s Starfleet membership, I think being large enough to have multiple international sectors (which I’d assume would become our own House system) with local meetups would be a reasonable goal. Perhaps there would even be Chapter-specific Houses by then per location, maybe one House per Chapter per location, with meetups that reflect those Chapters and Houses, but this is a half-fledged idea that I’m not entirely certain would work just yet.

Second, the farfetched. Thinking as idyllic as possible, I’d like GT to have physical locations; actual Houses for people to stay in should they choose. These would follow a similar format to the traditional Houses, and be funded by as many local members as possible so that the location is easier to afford and maintain. Of course, this would require us to have a large enough following internationally to justify locational Houses, but I believe it could be possible. I worry about the legal implications behind some of the things other members have mentioned, such as shelters for children/people in abusive situations, but I believe we could at the very least open up these Houses as places for such people to have a brief respite from their lives, and to help fight legally for their freedom if they want us to. I believe we could also open up the Houses, or a section of the Houses, as temporary homes for those who are able to escape their situations but unable to afford appropriate accommodation; like halfway houses for the lost and abused.

I only consider the previous paragraph far-fetched due to my sceptical nature as a person and my need to allow for the worst case scenario -- that is, the likelihood that GT’s larger goals will take far longer to accomplish. I also recognise that, as a Candidate, my vision for the Gallifreyan Tradition Society are greatly limited by my lack of knowledge, experience and status. Still, I hope I can gain enough headway to truly help GT in its progress, in future.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments   

Back to top Go down

Initiation Workshop || Finished Assignments
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1