ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA
Welcome to Academia Gallifreya! Please log in to proceed.

A school of tradition and heritage for the children of Gallifrey on earth. All are welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  PublicationsPublications  Log inLog in  

We know more than we think we do

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: We know more than we think we do   Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 pm

An interesting part of learning how people think is discovering how many things are actually more complicated than they first appear. Although many of the tasks we perform every day seems simple due to repetition, there is a lot more going on under the surface. A lot of the tasks that we considered to be simple actually have significantly more steps than we usually noticed while we are doing them. This is because mistake inspected are done automatically and and we simply assume that they are easy because almost everyone is able to do them. This is especially important to remember when in person  neurodivergent and may have difficulty with many everyday past that is simple to neurotypical people. Things like executive dysfunction or attention problems can make things much more difficult responding others.

Has a way to think about all of the complicated things that we do without noticing it, I would like you all to write out a simple step-by-step list of instructions for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If you get this in by Wednesday I will choose the most entertaining ones and film myself doing this. With luck, the videos will be posted next Friday and I will include a link to the channel I will use in next week's class thread. I hope to see you there.

Mel

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:24 pm

(Okay so I made this and I've used the British 'jam' rather than American 'jelly', as you have to hop over the pond, buy British jam and then follow the recipe.) 

Get the bread out of the bread bin, get the jam out of the fridge and then search for the peanut butter around the house and question if you have any around and if you do, why you have it. Get the butter out, and find a chopping board to spread it on (Have you got a clean one? I hope so. Oh no it's one of those plastic-y ones again rather than the full size one. Darn.)

Slap the bread down on the board. Grab a knife (no, not that one. Not the massive meat knife. The one you use for bread. No, not that one either. The butter knife. Finally.) and see if you can remember how to spread. Spread the butter (can I spread without ripping the bread? no of course not...)

Using the same theory, grab some of the jam out of the jar, and spread that on top of only one piece of bread, not two. (It gets a little messy if you don't).

Grab the peanut butter. Check the sell by date on it (Why do I have it in the first place?) and if its in date, spread this on the bread too, on the piece of bread you didn't spread the jam onto.

Take the bread with the peanut butter on it. Place it on top of the other piece of bread.

By this point, you should be reacting pretty strongly, and should be struggling to breathe. Grab your Epi-Pen, and jab it into your thigh for 10 seconds, and massage the area. Call for an ambulance. Throw the sandwich in the bin, preferably alongside the peanut butter jar. Pass out. Six hours later, leave the hospital, and thank the menti celesti that you live in Britain, not America, and all of this was free. Go to your doctors and get another Epi-Pen prescription, and go and pick it up.

Follow the same instructions, except ignore the whole peanut butter bit, and enjoy your jam sandwich, around 7 hours after you originally wanted a sandwich. Either that, or collapse into bed depending upon the time.

The next day, question why you had peanut butter at all, and why you thought it was a good idea to make yourself a peanut butter and jam sandwich...

Candidate Mel

Mɛlmɑk’ip’ətalt̪ɔsɾuwawifɾɪniɾtad || Chapter: Arcalian || Rank: Candidate || Pronouns: they/them ||
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zomomalungbarrowtodonos

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Okay. Step one, leave your computer alone. Leave it and get up, for Gods sake! Right good. Now go to the kitchen.

Step two, open the fridge. Promptly forget why you did so and return to your comput-OH RIGHT THE SANDWICH. Return to the kitchen, open the fridge again.

Step three, get out the bread bag and leave it on the counter while you try to decide whether or not you should use butter. Decide you do, and get the butter out too. Check the sell-by date on the jam, which should also be in the fridge, and get that out if it's in date.

Step four, get out two slices from the bread bag, wonder if you should use a plate. All the plates are dirty and you don't have the energy to clean them, so balance the bread on the bread bag instead while you spread the butter on one side of each.

Step five, get distracted by something on TV. Stand there watching it with the butter knife in your hand. Forget the sandwich for about five minutes before wandering back into the kitchen and remembering what you were doing.

Step six, the jam. Spread the jam generously on the bread. You really like jam.

Step seven, accidentally dip your knife in the peanut butter jar that's been left open on the counter. Spread it absently on the jam-and-buttered bread before you realise what you've done.

Step eight, oh gods why did you put peanut butter on it no no no no no no no no

Step nine, put the knife down and leave the half-made pb+j sandwich on the counter while you run back to your computer and sit there crying over your own idiocy. Don't finish or eat the sandwich. In fact, just have a drink of soda instead and decide to try the whole eating thing tomorrow, instead.

Zomamɑlungbɑrotadanas || Adoptive cousin of the Prydonian Chapter || House Lungbarrow || they/them ||
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prydonianprincess.tumblr.com
azura

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:33 am

You are playing on the computer and suddenly you are hungry you must feed. So you get up and meander to the kitchen. You go to the cupboard and grab the peanut butter and  then the bread from the bread box place those on the counter. Then grab the jelly from the fridge. Then go get a plate and a knife. Take two slices of bread and put them on the plate. Open the peanut butter and spread it on both pieces of bread. Then get a spoon and  use it in the jelly and put the jelly on the bread. Put the bread together and eat.

Patrician Shilo

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:08 pm

I am equal parts impressed and surprised by the responses I have gotten. After 5 Central I will no longer be accepting any responses as examples for my video. I will spend this afternoon typing up to three of them up in a step by step list so I can show you exactly how much people assume without knowing it. I plan to videotape this on Thursday and I will include the link to the videos at the end of Friday’s lesson. It has definitely been fun reading all of your responses.

For those of you who are interested in reading ahead, I have decided to take the majority of the next lesson from Psychology: An Introduction, by Russell A. Dewey, PhD
Chapter Seven, Thinking and Problem Solving
http://www.intropsych.com/ch07-cognition/thinking.htmlhttp://www.intropsych.com/ch07-cognition/problem-solving.html.
I hope you enjoy it and I'll be back on Friday.

I need to add a TW for mention of invasive and cruel practices mentioned in the Thinking chapter section.

Last edited by Patrician Shilo on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding a link, adding a TW)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SkitSquad

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Morgan's Assignment #1 for GT Psychology:

Steps to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich:

·       Obtain the necessary tools to make the sandwich:
o   A plate or other dish/surface on which to make and serve the sandwich
o   A butter knife
o   A napkin or paper towel (optional, only if you’re finicky about food being messy like I am)

·       Put the plate in front of you wherever you will be making the sandwich, and put the knife and napkin if you have one next to the plate within easy reach.

·       Obtain the necessary ingredients to make the sandwich
o   A loaf of sliced bread OR a loaf of homemade, unsliced bread and a knife with which to slice it
o   A jar of peanut butter (or peanut butter alternative if you have a peanut allergy)
o   A jar of whatever flavor jelly you want to use

·       Place two slices of bread on the plate

·       Open the jar of peanut butter and use the butter knife to spread a layer of peanut butter on one side of one of the slices of bread that you put on the plate. The peanut butter can be in whatever amount/thickness you desire, based on how much peanut butter you want on your sandwich.

·       Optional step: Wipe the remaining peanut butter off of the knife with the napkin, if you want.

·       If you did not wipe off the knife with the napkin, just scrape off any large amounts of excess peanut butter left on the knife on the inside edge of the peanut butter jar.

·       If you will only be making one sandwich, once you have spread all the peanut butter you want then you should put the lid back on the jar of peanut butter because you’re done with it now. If you will be making another sandwich, you can leave the jar open.

·       Open the jar of jelly and use the butter knife to spread a layer of the jelly on one side of the other (currently plain) slice of bread that you put on the plate. The jelly can be in whatever amount/thickness you desire, based on how much jelly you want on your sandwich.

·       Optional step: Wipe the remaining jelly off of the knife with the napkin.

·       If you did not wipe the jelly off the knife with the napkin, just scrape off any large amounts of excess jelly left on the knife on the inside edge of the jelly jar.

·       If you will only be making one sandwich, once you have spread all the jelly you want then you should put the lid back on the jar of jelly because you’re done with it now. Then you should put the knife in the dishwasher or sink, whatever you normally do with dirty dishes that need to be washed. If you will be making another sandwich, you can leave the jelly open and the knife out.

·       Pick up the slice of bread that has peanut butter spread on one side, and place the peanut butter side against the jellied side of the other piece of bread. The peanut butter and the jelly should be facing each other on the inside of the sandwich, and the outside should be two plain sides of pieces of bread.

·       If you used a napkin and are only making one sandwich, throw away the messy napkin.

·       If you want to make more sandwiches, repeat the above steps for however many sandwiches you want.

·       Congratulations, you’re done making your peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Now all that’s let is to eat it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alienated

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Super Simple Instructions for Making a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich:

You will need:
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 jar of peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1 jar of jelly (any kind - strawberry and grape seem to be the most popular)
- 1 clean plate
- 1 clean butter knife

Step 1: Have a sudden, inexplicable craving for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. (Maybe you're nostalgic? Maybe you just really like PB&J? Who knows.) Decide to actually make one.

Step 2: Take a break from whatever you were doing and walk over to the kitchen. Spend a few minutes wondering what you're doing in the kitchen before remembering.

Step 3: Grab a plate and 2 slices of bread. (Preferably from the middle of the loaf, not the ends. Unless you like the end slices, in which case, more power to you.) Place them side by side on the plate.

Step 4: Grab a jar of peanut butter and open it. Grab a butter knife and use it to spread the peanut butter on top of one of the bread slices. Repeat the process for the jelly on the other bread slice.

Step 5: Place the two slices together with the peanut butter and jelly sides facing each other, making sure that they roughly line up. Use the butter knife to slice the sandwich in half, either diagonally or lengthwise. You may also slice off the crusts if you prefer.

Step 6: Enjoy your PB&J sandwich because, frankly, you deserve it after everything that's been going on lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Faemon

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Imagine that your attention is an effervescent cloud, imitating mirages. You can see the curtain of auroral mist just beyond the nearest immediate curtain auroral mist. This is all figurative speech, in English, conveyed by the Latin alphabet, which you were taught and then practiced until it became second nature. Part of you still remembers how difficult the whole process of reading really is. You were reading something, a forum comment, online. You still are, but there's something behind this whole process. 

Now there's something else coming to the fore, like a sunburst flares the aurora.

Bread. Layer. Nut-Fruit-Filling.

There's always something behind that, of course. Noticing that you feel dizzy, past experience suggesting that you ought to eat something, and soon because you didn't catch the earlier sign your body gave that you ought to eat something (probably because you were reading while also thinking about how you even know how to read in this language—basic survival impulses getting overwhelmed by "We're really doing this?! Reading! But how???").

You examined your options, maybe more focused by the urgency of not feeling so hungry. You have a store of food. Rice or pasta takes time to boil, and pots of water are too heavy for your low-energy strength right now. You also have some bread buns, and those can be retrieved and eaten quickly and easily. The taste of just bread, though. The texture of only bread, gets you thinking that there is more to life than eating for survival. Bread can be sliced, and then filled with other foodstuff. Bread can become something more than bread, this way. Bread can become a sandwich, if you can decide on filling.

Decide on filling. You do have cheese spread, but when your mind generates a memory of the texture and flavor of a cheese sandwich, the reaction you feel yourself having is one of mild aversion. You like cheese, in general, but for something to eat soon...cheese sandwich is not it. Why? It's too salty. Your body wants food, but it feels like your mouth had a private conversation with the back of your mind, and they decided: something sweet but not too sweet. You have paper packets of sugar. Please do not repeat do not get a bread bun, tear or saw the bread bun open, take a paper packet of sugar, hold it over the bread, and tear the paper packet of sugar so that sugar goes into the bread. That is a sugar sandwich. If you eat it, it will be too sweet. You remember to be averse to the texture of a sugar sandwich.

So, the next idea to form in your mind, is not called "Bread. Layers. Nut-Fruit-Filling." It is a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich. You have bread. You remember that you have a jar of peanut butter where you know you can get it. You remember that you have a jar of jelly where you know you can get it. The process results in a sandwich you can eat, which would be a preferred circumstance to continuing to feel ill.

To make and eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich will stop you from feeling unpleasant. This is the motive to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

This ends the preamble to making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The following are step by step instructions to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1. Assemble the extant components that exist. The preamble mentioned bread buns, peanut butter contained in a jar, and grape jelly contained in a jar. If no bread buns are available, but a loaf of pre-sliced square bread is available, then two or three slices from the loaf of square bread may substitute the bread buns. 

Notes: This list of instructions applies to filling a bun of bread with peanut butter and grape jelly. The arcane secret of the triple-layer bread variant of peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich...is excluded from the instructions in this post. 

Alternatives to peanut butter include but are not limited to almond nut butter, cashew nut butter, hazelnut spread that I rarely find labeled hazel nut butter, and chocolate spread. Culinary conventions may strongly suggest pairing chocolate spread with orange marmalade jelly, but feel free to disregard this convention.

Also note that "jelly" as a category and "grape jelly" as a specific variant of that category, those have been used interchangeably in the text of this post. 

The post author offers expression of personal regret, but no legal or medical accountability, for any peanut-butter-and-calf's-foot-jelly sandwiches that may have resulted from following these instructions.

2. Once available ingredients have been assembled and positioned accessibly, assemble the available tools: a plate, and a blunt flat utensil for spreading the filling (such as a blunt knife, or a spoon). A bread knife is optional.

3. Divide the bread bun from whole into two of the widest calculable surface areas, conducive to holding filling. This can be executed with the optional bread knife, or tearing the bun along the approximate longitude of the bread bun.

The bread bun may be divided into two separate halves of a whole bun, or connected by a hinge. This difference may or may not affect the flavor or otherwise determine the resulting sandwich experience as remarkably different.

4. If the two jars, respectively of peanut butter and grape jelly, are sealed by twist-cap tops, untwist each top and set aside the top so as to access the potential sandwich filling. 

Note: If available sandwich filling comes out of squeeze bottles, the spreader utensil may be obsolete.

5. Consider each exposed "to be spread upon" plane of each bread half to be the "recto" and "verso" side of a book. Reposition the bread to reflect this parallel.

6. Apply the peanut butter to the "verso" plane of the bread. 

7. Apply the grape jelly to the "recto" plane of the bread.

8. Join the parts at the filling. Now you have a sandwich.

9. Take the utensils, if used, and wash them clean in the sink. Leave them to dry on a nearby wire rack if available, or wipe dry with a dishtowel if a dishtowel is available and then return utensils to where those particular utensils are usually kept.

10. Return the tops of the peanut butter jar to the top of the peanut butter jar. (If squeeze bottles or other container, instructions not included in this post.)

11. Return the top of the jelly jar to the top of the jelly jar. (If squeeze bottles or other container, instructions not included in this post.)

12. Return both filling jars to where both filling jars are usually kept.

13. Optionally, take a glass and a drink, fill the glass with the drink, and now you have a drink to go with your sandwich.

Now take your sandwich (and your optional drink, if such an option was taken), find a designated place to eat your sandwich comfortably (and drink your drink with the sandwich), and then do so.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We know more than we think we do   

Back to top Go down

We know more than we think we do
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
ACADEMIA GALLIFREYA :: Classes, Assignments, and Workshops :: Student Assignment Threads-